PerBlue is looking for a skilled VFX Artist with experience working with visual effects for games to join our team. We’re a quickly growing independent studio whose free-to-play mobile games have been played by millions of people around the world.
You’ll create VFX that will add energy to the characters and bring to life dynamic environments in our games. You’ll work closely with our Art Director and Designers to concept, prototype, create, test, and integrate high quality VFX into both 2D and 3D game engines. You must have expertise in creating textures, sprites, and geometry needed for visual effects of all kinds and should be well-versed in VFX related tooling (check out some of our in-game VFX here).
Specific Requirements & Qualifications*
- 2+ years creating visual effects for games or entertainment media
- Worked on and shipped a AAA console title, mobile game, or animated film/television project.
- Familiar with multiple areas of VFX production including 2D imagery, 3D VFX, particle systems, sprite creation, UI VFX, lighting, or shaders.
- Proficient in Photoshop, After Effects, and Maya
- Strong artistic sensibility, design, and composition skills
- Desire and willingness to learn new technology and tools
- Familiar with SPINE animation framework and Unity
- Technically proficient and familiar with 2D and 3D art asset technical integration pipelines
- Deep VFX software tooling experience and knowledge, especially particle systems
- Strong understanding of lighting, surfaces, and textures
- Strong knowledge of dynamics, fluids, particles, expressions, and supporting scripts
- Be well organized and excel in a highly collaborative environment
- Are a self-starter and have a powerful desire to troubleshoot issues to resolution
- Ability to effectively communicate with producers, artists, and management
*Note to Intern Candidates: We encourage you to apply for the VFX Artist Intern position even if you don't meet all the requirements. Some VFX experience is preferred, but what's most important is a strong technical background and a willingness to learn new tech and tooling.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer 6+ weeks of paid vacation and health, dental, and vision insurance as well as 401k. We have a catered lunch program, a snack-stocked kitchen, and a refrigerator full of liquid refreshments. You'll get membership to our local hackerspace Sector67 and enjoy our regular socials. You'll be part of an energetic and collaborative environment, and work with a great team. We have flexible hours and are located in a vibrant neighborhood in beautiful downtown Madison.
PerBlue is an independent game development studio based in Madison, WI with a highly skilled team of amazingly talented people. We’ve been named a “Top Developer” by Google, a “Best Place to Work” by Madison Magazine, and “Madison's Favorite Tech Startup” by the Isthmus. This is a full time position based in Madison, WI. Compensation is competitive and based on experience.